DMH Stallard report on cloud security issues
UK law firm DMH Stallard LLP has launched a new report into data security and the cloud. Called Secure Your Data in the Cloud it aims to give those organisations with real concerns as they migrate from on-premise provisioning to cloud based solutions, answers to a host of questions relating to the issue of security.
Frank Jennings, Head of Commercial, DMH Stallard LLP and author of the Report, commented: “Industry surveys consistently show that data security is the number one concern when it comes to cloud adoption. The Report aims to answer the key questions they are asking about cloud solutions and we have asked a host of industry experts for their views as well as our own. The answers themselves reveal that data is not inherently more insecure in the cloud than on-premise. According to our experts it is all down to what safeguards there are and the responsibility for this resides with the data owner themselves.”
According to recent research by the Cloud Industry Forum data security is cited by 82% of companies as a key concern for them as they take the decision to migrate to the cloud. This was followed rapidly by data privacy at 69%. The Report also takes five key lessons learnt from this research…
• Keeping data secure is not so much about whether it is on-premise or in the cloud as it is about putting in place proper safeguards
• You should classify your data according to importance and adopt security measures accordingly
• Undertake diligence on your providers. Make sure they have a good reputation, have achieved recognised accreditations and have addressed security to your satisfaction
• Don’t just look after the technology. Remember security is about people too
• Take practical steps to protect your data and then cover this off in the contracts with customers, staff and suppliers.
For more details visit http://www.dmhstallard.com/site/services/ipservices/datasecurity/data_security.html