Asia-Pacific news round-up
From next month we'll be regularising our coverage of Australian, N-Z and Asia-Pacific news on the Orange Rag, but in the meantime – now that Australia Day's over and people are back at work – here's a catch-up…
• In the wake of Martin Telfer's move to Chicago in his new role as global director of IS at Baker McKenzie, Sydney based Brent Snow taking
the regional management role left vacant by Telfer's promotion.
• Australian commercial firm Arnold Bloch Leibler has implemented Bighand Mobile across the firm as part of a Blackberry business application strategy. Using Bighand Mobile, Blackberry-using lawyers can dictate documents, set tasks for assistants, record diary notes or issue verbal notes-to-self while on the move, further boosting their mobile productivity. The Bighand project is part of an overall IT strategy to leverage the firm’s investment in Blackberrys. This provides lawyers with a range of mobile functions, including the ability to check key financial and client analytics, use their Blackberry to ‘print to fax’ from any available fax machine, and route desktop phone messages direct to their Blackberry.
• Digital dictation systems supplier Winscribe has opened a new office in Sydney. Winscribe's sia-Pacific sales manager Arnah Pearson will be based out of this office, which is located at Suite 3305, Level 33, 264 George St, Australia Square, Sydney, NSW 2000 – tel: +61 (2) 9258 1090
• LEAP Software, the company behind the LEAP practice management system and the Smokeball online publishing site has acquired LegalPax, a Queensland provider of automated forms and precedents. The move gives LEAP access to LegalPax's user firms in the state (around 230) and their automated Queensland and Federal precedents.
• 2nd Annual Managing Partners Forum
27 & 28 February 2009, Byron Resort & Spa, Byron Bay NSW
Following on from the inaugural Managing Partners Forum held last year, the 2nd MPF will provide another independently researched and produced agenda, with an innovative programme. Confirmed speakers include: Tony Williams – Jomati Consultants [UK]; Robert Milliner – Mallesons Stephen Jaques; Michael Rose – AAR; Jon Denovan – Gadens; Janet Young – Freehills; Danny Gilbert – Gilbert + Tobin; Mark Chapple – Baker & McKenzie For further info please go to www.chillimarketing.com.au or email firstname.lastname@example.org