Lead Desktop Solutions Engineer (6 Month FTC) – Clifford Chance (London)
Clifford Chance is one of the world’s leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution.
Alongside world-class legal careers, Clifford Chance offers excellent opportunities in the support functions that underpin its business operations. By joining us in business services, you will help us to innovate in the way we deliver our services and enable us to run a successful multinational business that never stands still. Business services are integral to the running of the firm and are critical to its success.
The Desktop Engineering team is responsible for working with the Architecture, Project Management and Operations teams, in order to design, build, test and implement Desktop and Remote Access Services globally. This involves the engineering of core builds, supporting hardware and software, and all related infrastructure. The team is also responsible for the design and development of the technologies and toolsets that are required to manage and maintain the delivery of the firm’s Desktop within the production environment.
In addition, the team also provides design and engineering resource to projects, which have been tasked with the delivery of new technologies to support the firm’s IT and business strategies. For example, engineering solutions to support a ‘Bring Your Own Device’ approach, in line with the firm’s consumerisation strategy.
Reporting to the Desktop Engineering Manager, the Lead Desktop Solutions Engineer will be tasked, responsible and accountable for the low level design and engineering of Desktop and Remote Access Service solutions, relating to strategic, project and BAU initiatives. The Lead Desktop Solutions Engineer will provide input to Architecture on the development of the roadmap for these services, and will also provide engineering resource to project teams, often acting as the technical lead.
The successful candidate will be a technically competent and service oriented IT Engineer, with practical experience of the design and delivery of business critical services to a large global organisation. They will possess a thorough knowledge of both Microsoft and Citrix technologies, as well as a good all-round understanding of supporting hardware and back-office infrastructure. They will be accustomed to working within the ITIL framework of Incident, Problem, Change and Release Management, and also familiar with the full IT project life cycle.
The Lead Desktop Solutions Engineer’s key responsibilities include:
• Undertaking the low level design and engineering of production ready Desktop and Remote Access solutions – including supporting infrastructure and toolsets – in-line with the firms IT strategy and Desktop Services roadmap.
• Supporting Architecture and contributing to the definition of High Level Designs, by providing technical expertise for Desktop and Remote Access solutions.
• Develop the firm’s ‘Gold’ Desktop and Remote Access Services builds, and define service related global hardware and software standards, policies and procedures.
• Liaise with the Architecture, Technical Design Authority and Project Management functions, to understand and interpret business requirements, high level design, and project aims and constraints, in order to develop and deliver the low level design for solutions, ensuring that business requirements are met.
• In conjunction with Architecture and the TDA, develop and maintain technology roadmaps for Desktop and Remote Access services, and ensure that these roadmaps support and align with Architecture defined strategy.
• Demonstrate a structured and methodical approach to technical solution development, across the full lifecycle of Design, Build, Test and Implement.
• Attend project meetings, providing Engineering input and direction as necessary.
• The production of high-quality documentation and the completion of any required knowledge transfer, to support the implementation of new or significantly changed solutions. Liaise with Service Management and the relevant Support Teams, in order to ensure the smooth transition of such solutions in to production.
• When and if necessary, to act as an escalation point and provide 4th line support to resolve service related Incidents and Problems.
• Remaining up-to-date on Desktop and Remotes Access Service technologies. Carrying out investigation and research – and completing any required training – to ensure they are au fait with the latest industry trends and developments.
• Remote Access Service technologies: RSA, Citrix Netscaler, XenServer, XenDesktop and XenApp
• Virtualisation : VMWare View, ESXi, Atlantis Ilio and Hyper-V
• Microsoft Windows Desktop Operating Systems (XP, 7 & 8) and associated technologies (e.g. Direct Access & BitLocker)
• Microsoft core client applications (e.g. Office 2007, 2010 & 2013)
• Microsoft Desktop Service support and management technologies (e.g. Active Directory Group Policy & SCCM 2012/07)
• Third-party Desktop Service support and management technologies (e.g. Verdiem & AppSense)
• Consumerisation technologies to support BYOD/CYOD (e.g. Moka5)
• Desktop and Remote Access Service related hardware (e.g. Lenovo & Citrix NetScaler)
The role holder should be qualified to a minimum of:
• ITIL Foundation with a firm understanding of all Service Management processes and outsourced vendor management models (quality and cost).
• Relevant technical qualifications: CCP, MCSA
Experience and skills
• Demonstrable experience within a similar role
• Strong technical background, preferably gained from an Engineering and Support
• Experience in having worked in a process-driven organisation, with strong understanding of the practical implications of service management processes
• Strong relationship skills and confidence in communicating at all levels among technical teams, project managers and IT peers
• Strong negotiation and influencing skills, encouraging team ethic and buy in to ideas.
• Ability to manage multiple workstreams/projects/roles simultaneously
• Highly developed written communication skills and be capable of producing global and sensitive communications to a varied audience.
It is the Firm’s policy to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. Furthermore, the Firm will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds.
The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
The Firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
The firm is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. All staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity. Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.