October Legal IT Insider newsletter out now – Hey, hey we’re 19 years old!
Welcome to the latest issue of the Legal IT Insider newsletter (October, # 277) – this is our Another Bad Month for the Law Society edition
TOP STORIES INCLUDE:
• Another Bad Month For The English Law Society – Not content with a survey that found that 99% of the law firms in the sample said the Law Society of England & Wales has IT all wrong and that its plans for a “preferred supplier” scheme are “misguided” and “ridiculous”, the Law Society has also unveiled plans for a “revolutionary home conveyancing portal” that will replicate services that have already been available for years and try to create a property sales “chain view.” This is something the Land Registry abandoned in 2007 after its Chain Matrix project had already swallowed up £4.6 million with nothing to show for it.
• Microsoft scopes out is SharePoint legal initiative – We talk to Nishan DeSilva of Microsoft’s LCA about the Office 365/SharePoint Matter Center legal DMS project. The good news is the project makes a lot of sense. The bad news is you’ll probably have to wait until 2016 before a go-to-market version is available. Microsoft’s law firm partners also have some interesting views on the current crop of quote/unquote “here today, gone tomorrow” third-party SharePoint vendors! Two aspects of the project we are also going to be hearing more about are Office 365 Groups and Microsoft Delve. Check out these two links:
• Who’s In & Who’s Out? – All this month’s wins, deals, swapouts & rollouts from the UK, US, EMEA, APAC and the Rest of the World including a possible legal market comeback for SAP – this time in South America. We’ve also got a record number of HP WorkSite DMS wins – who says “traditional” DMS suppliers are history? And a WorkSite swapout in Australia, hang on a minute…
• And there is more – We have also got stories on the booming market for jobs in the legal IT industry – within law firms and vendors – with vacancies at their highest levels since 2006 plus we look at the panic surrounding the use of cloud services and the Solicitors Regulatory Authority and whether it is anything Office 365 users need worry about plus the Insider celebrates its 19th birthday and looks forward to the future.
Our next issue will be out on Wednesday 10 December 2014
• If you are on the email distribution list you will be receiving your copy anytime now
• You can also download the digital edition (it is a 2.6 Mb PDF file) FREE of charge HERE
• You can also sign up to receive your FREE copy direct to your email inbox by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the words Digital Subs in the header or by using the sign-up facility on this site here legaltechnology.com/latest-newsletter/
• If you want to forward on a copy of this newsletter to a friend, please do
• If you are waiting for the print edition – that’s in the hands of the postal services
• If you use our Legal IT Insider IOS app – that is out now