Legal Technology Insider and the Orange Rag today start a Twitter service that will be bringing you the latest news – and more – in the form of 140 character 'micro-blogs'. Reflecting the increasingly popular view* that Twitter is one of those technologies that seems pointless until you start using it, we will be using Twitter to 'tweet' on:
• the headlines of longer stories that will subsequently be published in the Insider or on this blog
• to draw attention to stories on other news services and/or provide hyperlinks to those stories (using TinyURL)
• to report on developments we may not subsequently report elsewhere – such as comments made at conferences
• and – reflecting the fact Web 2.0 technology is all about social networking – to add a more informal and human dimension to the communications matrix, including information on some of the other activities of Charles Christian and the Legal Technology Insider group.
There is now a formal link to Twitter available at the foot of the right-hand column of this blog – otherwise you can sign up to follow Insider editor Charles Christian on Twitter at http://twitter.com/FourthEstate
As to whether legal technology journalism is the new rock 'n' roll, well we'll just have to wait and see whether we get more people following @FourthEstate tweets than Kerrang!!! magazine.
* Another widely held view is that lawyers will never be able to use Twitter because they are congenitally incapable of expressing any idea or message within the constraints of a mere 140 characters.